Tips while giving compliments
Sincere: The intended compliment must be sincere and genuine.
Specific: Be specific to make your compliment effective. Try avoiding generalized compliments.
Spontaneous: This involves giving compliment as soon as you identify something wonderful.
Giving Compliments on the accomplishment
- Good job!
- Well done!
- That’s great!
- Nice work!
- That’s really remarkable.
- Good grades!
- That looks awesome!
- Kudos on the great work!
Phrases for complimenting a person’s appearance/clothes
- Ms. Hima, may I be so bold as to compliment you on your dress?
- May I pay you a compliment Jane? You really look fantastic today.
- I hope you don’t mind, but I just had to say how wonderful you look today.
- You look great.
- You look phenomenal.
- You look nice.
- You look amazing!
- The dress looks stunning.
- What a lovely necklace!
- I like your shirt – where did you get it?
- I love your new shoes.
- You look very good in that suit.
- This tie looks nice on you.
- That color looks great on you.
- You look very handsome.
- You’re looking very beautiful today.
- I like your new haircut.
- You have a lovely voice.
- Wow, you look hot!
- Reshmi, what a beautiful dress!
- Cool glasses, totally suit you.
- I really love your haircut. It makes you look like a movie star.
Phrases for complimenting someone’s performance
- Jon, if you don’t mind me saying, you are an excellent public speaker.
- I must say you really know how to communicate.
- I totally admire your spontaneity.
- I admire your ability to think on your feet.
- I really must express my admiration for your speech.
- Wow! You’re great at delivering a PEP TALK!
- You can really argue. That was amazing debate!
- You’re an awesome dancer.
- It’s a mesmerizing performance. Keep it up.
- You sure can play table tennis. Great Skills!
- I love the way you play guitar.
- You really have some special talent.
- Tom, I couldn’t help but notice your Mercedes. It’s a beauty!
- I have to admit I’m jealous of your lovely garden.
- You have such a majestic painting in your living room.
- I have no words to describe your brand new TV. It’s rather vibrant.
- Nice car! Is it yours?
- Kudos on the new iPhone X dude. Where did you get it?
- Your camera is superb. That’s nice!
- Awesome headphones man, they look stunning.
Phrases for complimenting someone’s home
- What a nice apartment!
- You have a beautiful home.
- You have a lovely home Jack.
- I love what you have done with the place.
- Where did you get that lovely table?
- I love the decor. Did you do it yourself?
Phrases for complimenting someone’s cooking
- The dish is delicious.
- This soup is very tasty.
- Great Pasta! It’s finger licking good.
- You’re a fantastic cook.
- Did you make this from scratch?
- You’ve got to give me the recipe for this chicken dish!
- The cherry pie is out of this world.
- This is best sandwich I ever had.
- That was delicious. My compliments to the chef!
Phrases for complimenting babies / children
- She’s darn cute
- What a cute and cuddly baby.
- Oh, what an adorable face!
- He/she’s so cute!
- Your children are very well-behaved.
- Your daughter is a smart cookie.
- Your kids are a lot of fun.
- She’s well-mannered kid.
Phrases for receiving compliments
- How kind of you to say so.
- It’s nice of you to say so.
- It’s very kind of you to say that.
- Really? I’m not sure about that, actually.
- Thank you.
- Thank you so much.
- Thanks a lot.
- Thanks for your compliment.
- I’m glad you like it.
- I’m delighted to hear that.
- Seriously, you liked it that much.